Looking back many of my best memories were at their house. Back to the buttons. One of the things I also loved to do was go in their room. At the time I thought it was really pretty. I mostly remember all the little trinkets on her dresser. She had a silver mirror and brush set we would play hair shop with and a small dish of buttons. It was a pretty little dish. I think it was pink. It had all these buttons it in that we would sort and count and wonder about. My Noni was the thriftiest person I ever knew. She saved EVERYTHING! We made jokes later in life about all the rubberbands, paperclips and drawers full of stuff she would save. She would stay with us when we moved to Utah and clean out all our drawers. My Mom hated it! Everything was tidy though, she would organize it not just shove them all somewhere.
When my Noni died, my Aunts cleaned out her house and asked us what we wanted. I wanted the coffee pot that we spent Saturdays washing and then trying to put it all back together. Her pretty silver where we would polish for special occasions. I also asked for her cooking utinsels that brought back memories of the good old days and of couse I asked for her button dish and buttons. I am sure the choices of things I wanted made them laugh but that was where my memories of her house were. I got them all, my three top choices. I added the buttons to a big jar I have and don't really remember sharing the stories with my girls when they were little, which is something I now regret. I think some of them might know about it.
One day a few years back Michon and I were sitting in our kitchen and she asked me about the jar. I started telling her about them and soon we had all the buttons laid out on the table. I of course has added lots of buttons of my own from various craft projects and things but it was pretty easy for us to pick out most of the old ones. Some were really pretty or really worn or made of glass some were really tiny like they came off of baby clothes. Michon and I talked about a few things we could do with them. She was really sentimental like me and we tried to think of a cool thing we could make so they didn't get lost or ruined along the way. We never really came up with anything too great so the buttons went back in the jar. A few days or weeks later Michon called me all excited! She had found a bag full of buttons at DI ( she was a great DI shopper, she could find treasures I can't see) She told me she was going to start a cool button jar too to pass on to her kids. It breaks my heart to think of little things like that. Dreams that she never fullfilled even small little seemingly meaningless things like a button jar. One day when I am at my Moms I am going to find her buttons and bring them home to add to the jar. Then when I think Kaden is ready for it, I will ask him for hers and maybe I can add them too. Down the road if Karver is married to a sweet sentimental girl I will pass on the story and the jar to her. But, just in case I will remember to fill my girls in now so that someone in our family understands why I have them in my home.
What a lovely memory for you and a story for us! I'm like you and cant find the treasures in DI, but greatly admire those that can.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how these little small things end up being the biggest, most meaningful ones. Thanks for sharing this memory.
ReplyDelete