Sunday, August 31, 2014

Callie O' Mallie

I have been planning on doing this post for the whole summer!
I am just now realizing how hard it is to keep up this blog. I refuse to give up though because I am a picture freak, I enjoy writing and this is so much easier that scrapbooking.

Around the last part of Callie's Semester, one of her and Kayla's assignments to complete the Edge Program, was to put together and pull of a service project for the community.
They decided to do "Birthday Party Kits". Years back my sister Kristi did these with her Girl Scouts. I stole the idea and we did them in Relief Society a few times. It is a pretty fun and a worthwhile project, so when they decided to use them for their project, I was all in. They went to work first deciding who would receive the kits. Since they go to school in Cedar City , they would take some to the Women's crisis center there. Then since they are from down here they decided to take some to our Crisis Center, called the Dove Center, and some to the Jubilee Home. They made lists of the items they would need for each kit, and passed our flyers and used social media to put the word out and ask for donations. They did pretty good over a period of time and in the end had plenty. They were able to not only do more kits than they planned but also, made them extra fun by adding additional items.
They shopped and had a lot of fun, then came to our house to assemble them. I am proud of them or all their hard work. Their hard work will make 30 children happy. Children who are going through a hard time will be able to celebrate their special day. Their parents can enjoy the celebration without the worry of money or time.  Go Callie and Kayla!
Each kit was assembled in a foil pan that is used to bake the birthday cake. Inside there was a cake mix and frosting. Candles, balloons, party hats and a toy. Each facility received 10 kits. 5 boy and 5 girls. They divided the gifts and labeled them for younger and older children. They turned out so cute!


The facilities that received them were thrilled of course and they had fun delivering them!

No comments:

Post a Comment