Sunday, January 19, 2014

Hello 2014!

Well it's here.
I usually don't really care about the whole new year thing. Although there have been several years I would love to wish farewell to. 2012 and 2013 were both those kind of years.
We never celebrate really. When the kids were young we got together with family sometimes or just our small family here. We would get a movie and pizza, soda and treats etc. and spend the evening at home. During the preteen years the kids would have friends over or go to a friends and pretty much do the same thing. When the teenage years hit there were parties and dances and down town celebrations and we pretty much just drove them to and from.
We never do much of anything just Jeff and I, and I have to say I really don't mind that.
I am not a resolutions setter. If I set a goal I set it whenever, and take it from there. I rarely finish those kinds of goals anyway so it's not something I do often. I don't know what that says about me. I can plan and pull off most anything I want to, and I like that. Reunions, parties and things, but to just make a long term plan is something I guess I just don't do.

This year Jeff had to go help at the YSA (young single adult) party. Of course I didn't want to go over there. There was a time I might have liked to do stuff like that, but those times are gone. I don't love large groups unless I know everyone well. I don't like going to all his church stuff for that reason and it's weird to sit around while he talks to and does all the activities they do. I guess I could try harder. I know he would like that. I even feel bad about it, but sitting by myself is something I would rather do at home. Clint and Jamie had invited us up there for dinner and a movie, but Jeff couldn't go or I would have liked to do that.So, he left and I got the impression by what he said that he wouldn't be too long. Usually I double what he tells me and plan on him being back by then. As the hours ticked away I got upset with him. Just because I didn't want to be there, didn't mean I wanted to sit home alone the whole night.
 By the time he sent me a text and said he was on his way, it was long past the time I thought he might actually make it home,and I had given up. So, I took the tree down and watched the news.
People hadn't done what they were supposed to, so of course he stepped in to help. He is really good that way, which is nice and responsible. I on the other hand don't love it, because it seems like it happens way to often.
So the New Year for me didn't start off all that great. 2014 has arrived like it or not!

A few weeks later Clint and Jamie brought the kids over on a Saturday Night. We had been tending Karver for the afternoon while Kaden went to a wedding, so it was fun for the boys to play. We got pizza and decided to go bowling. We had gotten them gift certificates for shoes and game each at the Dixie Bowl. It's kind of scrungy, but it's close and it's not always full of leagues so you can get in.
We headed over. The boys were already rowdy. I was excited because I thought it would be fun to sit around and watch the kids have fun. I pictured a relaxing fun evening. Ha not even close!
The first thing we found out when we got there, is you have to be 4 to bowl. Your are not even allowed on the floor if your not! You can't hold them or help them if they are younger. They were very bratty about it. We should have left then, but the boys were so excited already. So...Brodeyn is big enough to pass for 4 so we kind of fudged on that. Karver is pretty small for his age and isn't even 3 yet. It was so sad. As we all put on our shoes, he kept asking where his shoes were. He wanted to put on his "new shoes" too. I was to the point of tears already because he felt so bad. I went up and asked if he could at least have a pair of shoes so he wouldn't feel so left out. They gave us those at least and that helped. I was hoping he would just be content to watch and cheer. He was so cute cheering everyone on and saying "yay you got a trophy". Ok, he was content for about 2 minutes. He saw all the boys getting their balls and of course he wanted a ball too. Then he wanted to bowl. I got down on the floor clear back at the edge and helped him roll the ball as hard as we could a few times so he wouldn't be "on the lane" and that helped for a minute. They also had us split on too different lanes which made me mad. We were not even sitting on the same bench. Stupid! We spent our time trying to keep Karver from running out on the lanes. He discovered the video games and was liking sitting on the seat pretending to drive. Brodeyn got bored and saw Karver so they started to fight over the one game that had the screen lit up and a steering wheel. Brodeyn didn't want to bowl after the first 5 frames and so we were taking turns trying to get it all over with and watching the little boys. I never got to even help or watch Kashden and Braxton at all. I forgot my camera too. We got a few phone pictures and were all sweating and wanting to be done long before the game was over. Braelei was so cute. She loved being out and about and watching all the action. She is so easy going and happy!
We all left wishing we hadn't wasted our time and money. To salvage the night we went to Frostop for ice cream. Kash was upset because he didn't win. (he actually did have the highest score thanks to the bumpers) He also tried a stupid game where you try to pick up the prize with the claw thing. The kind nobody wins. An since he didn't get one he cried even more! We tried to enjoy the treats but it was late and we were all done.
I guess it was good we got to spend some time together, and of course we loved that part of it. I will however say it was nothing like we pictured and we will probably never go back to Dixie bowl again!





No comments:

Post a Comment