Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day 2, Fun at the Zoo! May 2014

We started our day off too early for me. We decided to eat at 8:00 a.m.
Jeff, Callie and I scrambled to be ready in time. I hate getting out of bed in the morning and rushing!
Of course we didn't have 4 little people in our room and we hadn't gone to bed at 9:00 so Jamie was way ahead of us. When I went to see if they were ready, They were not only dressed and ready her bags were packed and the room looked like a maid had been there already. Our room was a disaster and we were not fully ready.
When Jamie puts her mind to something she does it!
Breakfast was entertaining. The room is pretty small so it's hard to find empty tables especially in a big group. The meal is also a free for all. They had a good variety to choose from but it was kind of crazy. Jamie was trying to feed Braelei, who was grabbing all Brodeyns food and throwing it on the floor. I was trying to make sure the boys got what they wanted without getting in every ones way and making pigs of themselves. Jeff got what he needed and ate. Callie showed up while I was trying to eat ,Jamie had given up and went back to the room. Brodeyn got lost "Again" and Braxton decided to stay with Callie and I when he saw they brought out bacon. Of course he took about 6 slices before I could stop him. Jeff left and Kashden was supposed to go with him, but he also went a different route and caused a little panic.
Holy cow by the time we checked out we were all exhausted!
We both needed gas and I especially needed Pepsi's. Jamie and Callie decided it was going to be a Huge Mountain Dew day as well. We got fuel, aired up stroller tires, stalked up on soda and headed to the Zoo.
 
 
 
 
 
Timing wise we were doing pretty good. We actually made it there before the kids.
 We are usually the ones getting lost, thanks to Jeff's short cuts.
This time he did good and we found good parking and waited.
The Zoo was just that, a Zoo!
Apparently in was Veterans appreciation day, so all Military families got in for next to nothing. Great idea, I fully supported it, but it didn't help with the crowds.
I thought if we went while school was in session it would be less crowded, but I was wrong.
We quickly decided we should have done the Zoo on Friday and the Aquarium on Saturday. Oh well. .. We had searched for discount tickets a few weeks before we left.
We saw Wendy's had a deal. If you bought a combo meal, you could get a Zoo cup that was worth a kids entrance fee.
 The only problem was there were none left here, in Cedar or Logan.
We knew if we went without discount it would be some serious money. Like almost $200,
so finding a deal was pretty necessary. Callie searched and came up with $1 off each ticket. So we figured at least $12 was better than nothing.
Then she found a great deal!
If you went to a Les Schwab Tire place, you could get buy an adult ticket get a kid free!
We needed those. The ad said there was one in Ogden so I called Lindsey and asked them to pick some up. She agreed to save us $60.
 I told her I would call and make sure they had them, and get the address.
She called me back and said she thought they had one in Logan. Now that was better!
 Not only did they have them, there was no limit, so we didn't have to pay for any of the kids! We had an extra that we tried to give away, but everyone we saw with a big family didn't need it.
 Finally, we just gave it to a Grandma with her little one. She was happy and it didn't go to waste. Although later I remembered I still had the dollar off coupons in my purse. Oops!
 
 


While we were waiting in line, I tried to get a family picture of sorts.
Again it was a poor attempt, but better than none at all.
 


We were disappointed to find out, the new Safari Land wasn't open yet. They some of the animal exhibits open though, so at least we got to see some.
We were really sad the train was being upgraded as well. I like that you can ride on that, and take a walking break. I think all the kids would have loved it too.

This guy was by the Lions den with a real Lion mane for the kids to see and feel. He talked to them about the male and female Lions.
I thought that was pretty cool. The kids really liked it.

It was nice for Kenna to have something tactile.

Let the fun begin!
 

It was good they had a little play area at the beginning. It let the kids run around a little before we had to keep them close and go from place to place.






This is where we found Grandpa a lot! He is an observer, He likes to watch the kids and kick back. He does not like crowds but he was a trooper on the trip!

They all loved watching the seals.


The little ones really loved anything with water and glass
 


Between the Zoo and the Aquarium, the Zoo wins hands down for the ease of viewing different exhibits. There is more space and it is more kid friendly.

It was nice to have little places to keep the kids interested.
Kenna likes places like this where she can have some space to herself,
 so this little tunnel was perfect for her


Grandpa and Kenna join Travis and Reese
 
 

Good thing we had Callie's help. Not only did she help, she is fun to have along.
The kids all love her!



Shade was a hot commodity! Braelei is Miss Happy


I tried to get a photo with Jamie's family too. This was the best one I got.
 
The kids were so impressed with the huge Tortoise. I didn't go in the reptile place because the strollers didn't fit. I very willingly agreed to stay out with Braelei.
Of course it had nothing to do with the fact that there were snakes in there.
 The boys drug me in to the first part, so I could see the Tortoise because they loved them so much. Bad picture however.
 

In the end, the girls told all the kids they could choose one thing from the gift shop.
They were given a limit on what they could spend. I am not exaggerating when I say we were in that dang shop for OVER an hour. All of us were following kids all over, not only trying to keep track of all of them, but helping look at prices and decide what they wanted. Reese and Braelei got cute little stuffed animals and were happy with them in 2 minutes. We followed the boys around forever. They finally chose stuff when they were threatened to choose something or leave without.
Lindsey tried to talk Kenna into a million different stuffed animals, but even if she touched it and held it for a minute, she would drop it and go get the "Elmo visits the Zoo" book.
 Of course she loves books, so Lindsey gave up and Kenna was a happy girl.

 
At the end I really wanted to get a picture with all of us.
Callie reminded me, so we picked on this little couple to snap a few.
They were sweet and considering we were all so tired and hot and thirsty.
 It actually isn't a bad picture in the end.

A similar picture,  just a few new poses.

Oh well, that was our trip to the Zoo.
Lindsey's family headed out after we said good-bye.
We were going to meet Jamie, Callie and the kids somewhere to eat, but they just wanted to grab food and hit the road so we parted ways.

Jeff and I drove to Draper and found a McGraffs Fish House.
We always say we want to try it, and fast food sounded awful after living on it for 2 days.
It was quiet and cool and wonderful.
Jeff got the best Fish and Chips we have ever tasted.
I ordered Crab Cakes which were yummy and a Crab and Shrimp salad.
That was hands down the best meal of the trip.
We left feeling like we could travel home unstressed and I was happy we had gone.
It was what I wanted to do, although not everyone could be there we had fun with those who were. It was my gift to me!
 I kind of wish we would have waited a few weeks and traded the Aquarium for the Museum of Natural Curiosity. It looks like fun. 
Hopefully we can get back there again sometime. Waiting a couple of weeks would have made it so we could have seen the new Safari Land and the Train would have been up and running at the Zoo.
I was afraid if we put it off it would never happen and I think that's true so I am glad we went when we did. It was fun and chaotic, but that's our life!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment