Sunday, February 10, 2013

Picking out the Tree

On the way to Panguitch for my Moms funeral, I had the thought that we should have brought Jeffs truck or left it in Cedar City. Every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving we make the trek up to Cedar to get a Christmas Tree. We just go to a Tree Lot up there. The prices are less than half of one here and after a few years of "real" Tree hunting with small kids I decided never again. Jeff wants to roam the mountains in the freezing cold and I want to pull up to a lot pick a tree and go home in a warm truck. Anyway.. since my Moms funeral was that Saturday and we were already up there it would have been the perfect time to bring home a tree. Callie had insisted we decorate the house for Christmas the day before that. That is also something we always do but, with everything going on the Christmas spirit was far from the first thing on my mind. She said in order to try to cheer up we should stick with our Tradition and do it anyway. Lindseys whole family was staying here and I was a little hesitant. One reason was trying to do it with a house full of people esp. 3 children ages 4 and under. The other reason was I just didn't care. But, Callie is like the rest of us and when she puts her mind to doing something we do it!

I realized at the cemetary that Kaden and Michon were in their truck so I asked them if they would like to meet us in Cedar choose trees and haul ours home too. Michon said she wanted a real tree this year and so we decided we would do that. She was hungry and so they were going to stop and grab food and follow us back. My Dad needed to stop at Sanford Creek and check on and feed his cows. He didn't have his truck either and was afraid the cows wouldn't come when he got there so he asked Kaden to follow him there in his white truck while he fed. Apparently the cows know my Dad has a white truck and they will only come over to feed if he is in it?? Ok whatever...That put us ahead of Kaden and Michon by almost and hour. Jeff wanted to just go home and go back to Cedar another time. Callie and I wanted to wait for them. I told Jeff we needed to spend more time with them. We don't always get the chance to hang out with them it seemed so we should wait. We got our way. We went to the lot and started looking through the trees. It was getting dark and cold, so we were trying to find one for us and a few good choices for them so they wouldn't have to look long. Jeff found the "perfect tree" It was really nice and we liked it but, of course we wanted to look more so, we found one we thought had a little more character and chose it. I could tell Jeff wasn't happy with our choice but, when Kaden and Michon got there and started looking he showed them his choice and Michon who is so easy going, said that tree was great and she was happy with it. Karver and I had made our way to the car but, I handed him to Michon and Callie and took a picture of them. It's weird how now I think that wasn't really something I would have usually thought to do but, it was Karvers first trip to the lot so I snapped a few pictures. We loaded the trees and then we told them we were headed to get something to eat. Michon said she was starving because they hadn't stopped on the way there. When your pregnant as least for me , being hungry makes you sick so we decided to go eat together. Michon wanted to go to Taco Time which I was fine with but, Jeff wanted to go somewhere nicer and take them to dinner (obviously he has never been prego). We ended up at Sizzler. I could tell it didn't agree with her so I felt bad and Karver doesn't have the best restuarant manners so we didn't stay long but at least we had a good visit.

 They came to our house and dropped off our tree. We were so tired, we left ours outside but a little while later Kaden sent us a picture of their tree all set up with lights. It fit perfect and they for sure got the best tree out of the two. Once again I found myself later thinking how glad I was she did get the best tree to enjoy while she could.

It was time to get excited for Christmas and cheer up. We were looking forward to long awaited visit from our Grandkids from Arizona. Three whole days of Ashlyn and Ethan! I had a list of fun things to do with them and then Shawn and Amber would come up and we would have our "WHOLE" family together for a day and night except for one thing. Lindsey and Travis had to go home after the funeral and couldn't come back because of school and so it wasn't going to happen and once again my dream of a family picture was squashed!

No comments:

Post a Comment